Running the fine line between too hard and too easy

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Run run run as fast as you can...

In an effort to try something new, my husband had mentioned that he liked Gingerbread cookies. I knew I had the most perfect cookie cutter for this occasion.


Meet Mr. Gingerbread

I found a recipe for Basic Gingerbread Cookies on Martha Stewart's website. On Christmas Eve, I made the dough. As I was mixing in the 6 cups of flour, my KitchenAid was showing a little sign of weakness. I couldn't believe it. After 5 years of using my KA mixer, I finally had found a flaw. The bowl was too small for this recipe. Sigh. I have the Artisan mixer, so if you have the Professional Series (maybe Santa will upgrade me one day..) you will do fine. The last two cups or so I had to beat in by hand. And this dough is by no means light! It was definitely a workout for the arms.

Per the recipe's instructions, I divided the dough into thirds and put it in the frig to chill. Well, being Christmas Eve, I had more things to bake and cook, so it sat. For a few days. Once I finally got around to rolling out the dough and making the cookies, my husband had worked up quite the craving for them.

Thankfully for my husband he didn't have to wait much longer. The cookies stayed simple and without icing or sugar, just the way he likes them.

The cookies now hold a special place in my heart. Making them was a joy because it reminded me of when we first started dating and we watched Shrek. We must have watched it a thousand times and we always laugh and still quote the memorable scene with the gingerbread man being tortured. "Not my gumdrop buttons!"


The Scene from Shrek that still makes us giggle.

No comments: