Running the fine line between too hard and too easy

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie

I made a Pate Brisee on Thanksgiving with the intention of making a pumpkin pie for dessert. We already had an apple pie, so I ended up just freezing the dough for later use. My dad and brother came over for Christmas Eve and my brother wanted a pumpkin pie. Perfect! I had all the ingredients and my frozen Pate Brisee.

Let's discuss the Pate Brisee. Martha Stewart perfected this dough many years ago. The greatest thing about it is you can make it ahead of time and freeze it. It is easiest to make it in a food processor, but since I do not own one yet, I make it with an old-fashioned pastry blender. It's still easy, but takes some elbow grease and time (about 5-10 minutes vs. 30 seconds in a food processor). For this pumpkin pie, I knew I wanted to decorate the top with pastry cutouts, so I didn't divide the pie in half; it was more like thirds.

In the past for pumpkin pie, we have taken sugar pumpkins and roasted them and then used the puree. It is very delicious and quite the experience to roast your own pumpkins. However, I did not have any sugar pumpkins on hand, so I went to the old faithful; Libby's pumpkin puree. I also went ahead and used the famous recipe. I have used a few different pumpkin pie recipes before, and I like using different ones every now and again. This is an incredibly easy recipe and of course tastes wonderful.

I rolled out my pate brisee (the 2/3 part divided) and placed it into my pie dish. Then, I filled in the dish the pumpkin pie. While it was baking in the oven, I rolled out the last 1/3 of the pate brisee and used my little pastry cutters to make little leaves and acorns. I placed them on another baking sheet and put them into the oven during the last 15 minutes of baking. After the pie and the cutouts were finished, I pulled them out and put on cooling racks. I let the cutouts cool for 3 minutes and then arranged them on top of the pie. As the pie cooled, the cutouts set into the pie. Served with a dollup of cream and it's a wonderful end to a delicious meal.

No comments: