Running the fine line between too hard and too easy

Friday, December 28, 2007

Let's back track a bit...

I decided to try some new recipes for Thanksgiving 2007. We had some friends over and had a great time enjoying the company, wine, and food.

I usually make a sweet potato casserole with marshmallows. However my husband is not a fan of marshmallows. So, this year I thought I would try one without. I found this recipe online from one of my favorites sites for inspiration: foodnetwork.com. It is a generic Food Network recipe, but it looked really good. I must say...I did not miss the marshmallows. The casserole was delicious and still very sweet.
The recipe can be found here: Sweet Potato Casserole



My Sweet Potato Casserole on Thanksgiving

I also took my first stab at cranberry sauce. I found a cranberry compote recipe also on Food Network that looked interesting. I have to admit; I am a fan of the cranberry, but not a big fan of cranberry sauces. But, I decided to give it a go and see what came of it.

The recipe for Cranberry Compote



My Fresh Cranberry Compote

I also took a nod from one of my favorite Food Network shows (Semi-Homemade) and made this Sweet Biscuit Wreath. It is outstanding. My first attempt to make it (below) is not the prettiest version of it, but it is so good it doesn't even matter! My second attempt to make it will involve not drizzling as much glaze and letting the "wreath" look shine through. It really is very pretty before the glaze with the leaf-cut biscuits. The recipe is incredibly easy to follow and it took very little time to bring the glaze together.

The recipe for Sweet Biscuit Wreath


My Sweet Biscuit Wreath

For the most part, Thanksgiving was a success. My husband tried frying a turkey for the first time and it was a little overcooked. We bought a meat thermometer that was not working properly, so it was a little too done. However, since we have a fryer, we will definitely be trying it again and again (with a newly purchased thermometer).


No comments: